People seem to be really interested in first contact with the Kraliens. Here is some background from the manual:
In the mid-22nd century mankind first found evidence of extra-terrestrial life. Instead of flying saucers landing on Earth or greetings by distant radio signals, we detected thermonuclear explosions in the constellation Aries. Someone must have fought a war near Teegarden’s Star twelve years earlier.
At the time Earth’s richest nations had sent a handful of unmanned probes to other stars, but the entire human race had never banded together to accomplish anything. Then the threat of interstellar war brought out the finest in us. Soon scientific breakthroughs came every day, and engineers were designing starships, terraforming planets, and building outposts in deep space. Even as we spread to the stars, our politicians devised schemes to gain allies. Thus the United Space Faring Planets was born. This united mankind in a single, benevolent government that was open to other races.
The scheme found some success. As we spread across the cosmos we made contact with a few intelligent races which joined us, but they ranged from stone aged amphibians to meditative balloons floating in a warm gas giant. They were eager to learn, but had no space fleets of their own.
Then in 2175 the human colony at New Lhasa received an ultrawave message from a race who called themselves Kraliens. The Kraliens claimed to own New Lhasa – later they claimed to own all planets everywhere – and demanded that the colonists pay rent. When a Kralien fleet appeared to collect that rent an Earth space ship was waiting. Within an hour we were at war.
So Earth had some warships, early versions of the Scout you can play today, ready to defend our interests. Eventually the history books called our first interstellar war "The USFP-Kralien Border Dispute." This war was characterized by the following:
* Both sides believed they were fighting in self defense. (The Kralien religion says The Gods gave them ownership of our entire galaxy.)
* The official mission of the Kralien Defense Fleet was not to attack USFP outposts. It was to collect back rent for the millions of years that humans and other USFP races had been living in their galaxy.
* Thus during The USFP Kralien Border Dispute the Kraliens never used a sneak attack.
* The Kraliens ALWAYS announced that they were sending a fleet to collect rent (to be paid in gold, uranium, roast beef, whatever).
* Some of the more enigmatic races in the USFP actually gave the Kraliens a fortune in merchandise, which made the Kralien fleet more powerful.
* Most USFP races refused to pay, incurring Kralien wrath. Their only protection was those spunky humans and their fledgling Terran Stellar Navy.
* The backbone of the TSN battle fleet was the Scout, though USFP news reporters began calling it more glorious names like Armed Cruiser.
* The first starship Artemis was a Scout that fought in this war. Eventually you will get to read stories of their adventures.
* The ships that you and I know as Light Cruisers were designed during this war, but officially none were not completed in time to see combat.
* According to a rumor, one Light Cruiser was completed and did fight the Kraliens. There are no TSN records to substantiate this rumor.
* USFP history books say that after about 19 months the war ended in a truce.
* Kralien history books say the war ended in a "deferred payment plan."
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"
(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).